As the cold weather really takes hold here in the UK, I always turn to comfort food to warm our hearts and our belly’s! Stews and slow cooked meals are part of this selection of recipes and they are actually one way I can get the children to eat vegetables without any arguments.
The Balsamic and Dijon Beef Stew is a new recipe to us but boy will it stay as part of our winter warmers recipes. Easy to make and super tasty, a one pot meal that’s great for those days you need a meal ready when you walk in from a busy schedule.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500 g braising steak, cut into strips or diced
- 1 medium onion, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 5 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 500 ml beef stock
- 2 handfuls Chantilly carrots
- 2 handfuls baby potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil and add the steak and onion, saute for 5 minutes on a medium heat. Then add the balsamic vinegar, increase the heat until the vinegar reduces to a syrup, about 5 minutes. Add the Dijon.
- Add to your slow cooker.
- Add the beef stock and thyme.
- Add the potatoes and carrots, cooking for 6 – 8 hours on low/medium.
- Season and serve with crusty bread